This thread is locked.Only browsing is available.
Top Page > Browsing
Vdw-d3(bj) for 'band' calculation
Date: 2019/04/03 17:39
Name: Nikolai   <nilezay@gmail.com>

Dear colleagues,

My attempts to find equilibrium lattice constant of fcc silver with pbe+vdw-d3(bj) correction give rise to undefined vdw term, namely Uvdw=NaN. In case of d3(zero) calculation, Uvdw is 0.
Is it a bug? Or vdw-d3 scheme was implemented only for 'cluster', but not for 'band' type of calculation?
メンテ
Page: [1]

Re: Vdw-d3(bj) for 'band' calculation ( No.1 )
Date: 2019/04/06 13:53
Name: Kunihiro Yananose  <ykunihiro@snu.ac.kr>

Dear Nikolai,

Hi. Did you install the patch 3.8.5? According to the README.txt document of patch, there was an error related with the division by 0 in DFT-D3, and it was fixed by the patch.

regards,
K. Yananose
メンテ
Re: Vdw-d3(bj) for 'band' calculation ( No.2 )
Date: 2019/04/08 15:25
Name: Nikolai  <nilezay@gmail.com>

Dear Kunihiro,

Thank you for response. Yes, I used the patch 3.8.5. Moreover, it is formally clear where the error comes from. In the following part of Total_energy.c

if (W>1.0e-12){
C6 = Z/W;
C8 = 3.0*C6*r2r4ab_dftD[wanA][wanB];
dC6ij[Gc_AN][Gc_BN]=((dZi*W)-(dWi*Z))/(W*W);
sqrtC8C6 = -1.0;
}
else{
C6 = 0.0;
C8 = 0.0;
dC6ij[Gc_AN][Gc_BN]=0.0;
sqrtC8C6=1.0;
}

In case of the second clause of if statement, just below in the code, the following expression gives Nan, because of C8/C6.

if (DFTD3_damp_dftD == 2){ /*DFTD3 BJ DAMPING*/
fdamp = (a1_dftD*sqrt(C8/C6)+a2_dftD);
}

It seems, nobody tried to optimize the cell with one atom using vdw-d3 correction, in case of fcc silver it has to provide the close to experimental value of lattice constant, i.e. its noticeable shortening in compare with pure PBE.

All the best,
Nikolai
メンテ
Re: Vdw-d3(bj) for 'band' calculation ( No.3 )
Date: 2019/08/25 05:51
Name: Jhon W. Gonzalez

With the latest version+patch, I'm finding the same problem by including the Van der Waals correction (version.dftD = 3) to a CrI3 bilayer.
When DFTD3.damp = bj I get UvdW = -nan and when DFTD3.damp = zero I get UvdW = 0.000.

Best,

Jhon W. Gonzalez
Departamento de Fisica
Universidad Tecnica Federico Santa Maria
VALPARAISO - CHILE
メンテ

Page: [1]