This thread is locked.Only browsing is available.
Top Page > Browsing
Kohn Sham energy levels and Hartree potential
Date: 2014/01/15 14:41
Name: Le The Anh

Dear Ozaki sensei,

I have a question about the relationship between the Kohn Sham energy levels and Hartree potential. My system is single Phosphorus atom doped at the center of a Silicon cluster terminated by Hydrogen atoms. From the Kohn Sham energy levels, I can see the position of the Donor ground state (openmx says it is LUMO) and donor excited states with respect to the vacuum level. From the Hartree potential, I can see the potential depth at the P atom. But the thing is that the donor ground state stays below the bottom of the Hartree potential at the P atom (all energy levels and potential are calculated with respect to the vacuum level). Hence, I would like to ask you that Is there any relationship between the Hartree potential at the P atom and the position of the Kohn Sham energy levels? Can I use the depth of the Hartree potential at the P atom as the energy difference from the donor ground state to the first conduction state in the Kohn Sham energy levels?

I thank you very much and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

THe ANh
メンテ
Page: [1]

Re: Kohn Sham energy levels and Hartree potential ( No.1 )
Date: 2014/01/28 09:43
Name: T. Ozaki

Hi,

I think that comparison between the Kohn-Sham energy and the Hartree potential in the
absolute value may lead to misreading, while there must be some correlation.
Also, it is noted that OpenMX calculates the Hartree potential arising from difference
charge density.

Regards,

TO
メンテ
Re: Kohn Sham energy levels and Hartree potential ( No.2 )
Date: 2014/01/28 12:37

Dear Ozaki sensei,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I understand. Another thing, the zero energy in the Kohn-Sham energy is the zero energy in the Hartree potential. Am I right?
In OpenMX, I see four output files: *.v0.cube, *.vhart.cube, *.vna.cube, and *.vxc0.cube.
I assume these files corresponding to Kohn-Sham potential (excluded non-local part), difference Hartree potential (arising from difference charge density), neutral atom potential, and exchange correlation potential. Does the Kohn-Sham potential equal the sum of three other potentials? Is the absolute zero energy in those potentials calculated for the vacuum level? If I have a supercell and I put my structure at the center, the empty space between my structure and the supercell is the vacuum. Dose the vacuum level correspond to this empty space?
メンテ
Re: Kohn Sham energy levels and Hartree potential ( No.3 )
Date: 2014/01/28 13:13

Hi,

> Another thing, the zero energy in the Kohn-Sham energy is the zero energy in the Hartree
> potential. Am I right?

Though I cannot understand well what you meant, they can be related to each other.
Could you explain more precisely about "the zero energy in the Kohn-Sham energy is the zero energy in the Hartree potential"?

> In OpenMX, I see four output files: *.v0.cube, *.vhart.cube, *.vna.cube, and
> *.vxc0.cube. I assume these files corresponding to Kohn-Sham potential (excluded
> non-local part), difference Hartree potential (arising from difference charge density),
> neutral atom potential, and exchange correlation potential.
> Does the Kohn-Sham potential equal the sum of three other potentials?

The relations are given by
v0 = vhart + vna + vxc0
veff = v0 + vnl
where vnl is the non-local pseudopotential.

> Is the absolute zero energy in those potentials calculated for the vacuum level?

The vacuum level is generally obtained from the value of difference Hartree potential
around vacuum region being far from the surface of a slab model, and the work function
is defined to be difference between the value and the Fermi energy.
In this sense, your statement may be true.

> If I have a supercell and I put my structure at the center, the empty space between
> my structure and the supercell is the vacuum. Dose the vacuum level
> correspond to this empty space?

Yes it does, as I wrote above.

Regards,

TO

メンテ
Re: Kohn Sham energy levels and Hartree potential ( No.4 )
Date: 2014/01/28 14:11

Dear Ozaki sensei,

>Could you explain more precisely about "the zero energy in the Kohn-Sham energy is the zero energy in the Hartree potential"?

The Kohn-Sham energy level is the Kohn-Sham eigenvalue in the *.out file. I meant, for example, the LUMO is at 0.1eV with respect to the chemical potential -3eV. That means the absolute value of the LUMO level is -2.9eV with respect to the vacuum level. On the other hand, the vacuum level is set to be 0eV of the difference Hartree potential. That means the LUMO level stays at the -2.9eV of the difference Hartree potential if I plot the the Kohn-Sham eigenvalue and the difference Hartree potential in the same figure. Am I right?

I thank you very much.

Sincerely,

The Anh
メンテ
Re: Kohn Sham energy levels and Hartree potential ( No.5 )
Date: 2014/01/28 14:37

Hi,

I think that your statements are correct.
(Please make sure that the Kohn-Sham eigenvalues stored in the *.out file are not
relative, but absolute values.)

Regards,

TO
メンテ
Re: Kohn Sham energy levels and Hartree potential ( No.6 )
Date: 2014/01/29 11:57

Dear Ozaki sensei,

I thank you very much for your reply.

As for the vnl non-local pseudopotential, is there any way to obtained this potential in the *.cube format?
メンテ
Re: Kohn Sham energy levels and Hartree potential ( No.7 )
Date: 2014/01/29 16:16

From the output file *.out, I see many kinds of energies:
Uene: band energy
Ukin: kinetic energy
UH0: electric part of screened Coulomb energy
UH1: difference electron-electron Coulomb energy
Una: neutral atom potential energy
Unl: non-local potential energy
Uxc0: exchange-correlation energy for alpha spin
Uxc1: exchange-correlation energy for beta spin
Ucore: core-core Coulomb energy
Uhub: LDA+U energy
Ucs: constraint energy for spin orientation
Uzs: Zeeman term for spin magnetic moment
Uzo: Zeeman term for orbital magnetic moment
Uef: electric energy by electric field
UvdW: semi-empirical vdW energy

Is the UH1 the difference Hartree potential? If so, how can I get the UH0 in the cube file format?
メンテ
Re: Kohn Sham energy levels and Hartree potential ( No.8 )
Date: 2014/01/29 16:28

Hi,

As for the non-local potential, please refer a discussion at
http://www.openmx-square.org/forum/patio.cgi?mode=view&no=1525

> Is the UH1 the difference Hartree potential?

Yes it is.

> If so, how can I get the UH0 in the cube file format?

UH0 is the energy which is partly related to the neutral atom potential.
Except for the non-local potential, all the information about potentials
can be accessed through the available cube files.

Regards,

TO
メンテ
Re: Kohn Sham energy levels and Hartree potential ( No.9 )
Date: 2014/01/29 18:34

Thank you very much, Ozaki sensei.

The Anh
メンテ

Page: [1]